Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Blossomed Flower: Marit Larsen


I really admit that I became an avid fan of M2M during my childhood. During those times, Pop music is really hot. Almost everywhere you go you can hear the music of Westlife, A1, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Linkin Park, and of course M2M. I think I somehow feel ashamed that I've been listening to those kind of music even though I am certified rock music lover. But I think that's part of life. It's one thing that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Marit Elizabeth Larsen is the light-haired of the Norwegian duo M2M. When she's still in M2M, she played the guitar. When I found out that Marit had become a solo artist, I searched the web all about her and her career. I even downloaded her songs in Limewire. I must say that her kind of music had changed. When I watched her video "Under the Surface", I was shocked to know that she knows how to play the piano. I thought it was only Marion Raven(her partner in M2M) who plays piano. That was kind of intriguing to me. Did Marion taught Marit how to play the Piano? Or did she enrolled in piano lessons? When I saw her profile in the internet. I learned that Marit was born in a music oriented family. If I can still remember what I read, Marit's mother was a Cielo player and her father is a violinist. When she was six, she learned how to play the piano. I heard from some source that she was the one who taught Marion in playing piano during their childhood. Before they became M2M, Marit was to choose which instrument will she be using. Because Marion doesn't know how to play the guitar, it would be likely that Marit would be the one playing it and Marion will play piano. During the height of their career, they really become very famous especially here in the Philippines. But suddenly their record company drop them due to low album sales in the US despite it's high sales in Asia and Europe. That's when they decided to split up. Marion became a solo artist and her genre became rock. During those times, Marit continued her studies and later on 2006, she decided to come back to the music industry. She has a natural born musician blood flowing in her veins and during her studies, she still composes songs. Later on EMI records ask her if she wanted to be a solo artist and later that year she released "Under the Surface". I must say that her first debut album is brilliant. I've been listening to her songs for a while now and I can say that her voice and lyrics makes me feel happy that I'm alive. Last October 2008, she released her 2nd album entitled "The Chase". I'm quite impressed! The songs in that album is really great. She said that she had lots of written songs and she hand picked the songs that she wanted to be in her two albums that's why it is that good. I haven't got all of her songs because her album was only released in Norway and other parts of Europe. But I'm doing my best to find it and listen to good music that makes me feel better rather than listen to hardcore rock music all the way.

And she has done so with tremendous grace, without losing herself the way that so many artists who achieve success at a young age have done. What comes across both in her songs and in person is Marit’s remarkable honesty, her genuine warmth and the joy she takes in her music and her life. These also come across loud and clear to her audience each and every time she takes the stage. The crowd at every show knows that they are part of something special.

The shy, young girl with the great big talent has blossomed into a very rare flower, indeed. I hope Marit's career will continue to rise!

No comments: